Lara Wetlands is a land of plenty. Spend some time at one of our tranquil shady camping spots surrounded by Wetlands abundant with birds & wildlife, a photographers joy. Enjoy a campfire and star gazing at night, whilst enjoying the sounds of the nightlife. All size vans, tents, camper trailers and mobile homes are welcome.
Lara Wetlands is a 15,000 acre stationstay is 28 kms south of Barcaldine or 78kms north of Blackall in Queensland.
It is an idyllic bush campspot that is well set up around the wetlands that has abundant birdlife & wildlife and is a photographers joy. Sunrise and Sunset’s are just amazing with the reflections on the water. There are unlimited tranquil shady unpowered campsites around the wetlands, that welcomes all van sizes, mobile homes and tents.
The red sandy loam to chocolate soil country is mainly lightly timbered with box, sandalwood and gidgee. There are also areas of semi-open country. Native and buffel grasses are found on the river flats off Alice and Patrick creeks.
Water is supplied throughout the property from the Gabsi Lara Artesian Bore. There is also a dam and semi-permanent holes in the Patrick and Alice Rivers.
It offers excellent infrastructure, unlimited water and is strategically located in the heart of the central west.
There is a magnificent semi-renovated, six bedroom homestead built in 1912 has sweeping veranda’s on three sides. The homestead is part of the Lara Wetlands Tourist Enterprise where visitors can enjoy guided tours and history including Devonshire teas. A quaint timber three bedroom cottage is set among the trees and shrubs.
The Homestead Tour of the 1912, 6 bedroom homestead is a great insight into the history of this beautiful property. Bill the caretaker is a fantastic camp host that will welcome you to Lara, and help with any inquiries.
Lara can run 500 head of Breeders, has undercover cattleyards and is fully fenced.
Lara Wetlands Bush Camping is in it’s 4th year of welcoming travellers with the caretaker happy to stay on and work with the new owners.
Other improvements include a machinery shed, workshops and numerous storage sheds including a museum. A feature is the steel cattle yards with under cover crush and branding cradle area.
Lara Wetlands Season: 2018
Best time to Visit Lara Wetlands: 29th of March – Mid October
OFFICE HOURS: 8 AM – 6.30 PM
How to get there: Lara Wetlands
- Camp Fees: 1st Price rise since the camping grounds opened in 2014
- Couple $25/night
- Single ( One Adult ) $15/Night
- Family Package: 2 Adults and up to 4 children $45 per night
- Children $10/Night
- Children under 5 FREE.
- Day Visitors (no camping): $5 per 1/2 day $10 per full day
- Lara Homestead Tours: $15 per person (Coffee/Tea/Scones included)
- Check Out: 10.00 am daily, extra night’s fees will be incurred for late check out.
NO NEED TO BOOK, ROLL ON IN AND OUR CARETAKERS LYNN & JANICE WILL CHECK YOU IN ON ARRIVAL.
ONLY LARGE GROUPS (5 VANS +)NEED TO BOOK A CAMPSITE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
As you can see lots of changes happening this year at Lara, we here at Lara Wetlands Bush Camping strive to maintain a tidy environment, so please let the caretakers know if anything needs attention. New policies of Lara Wetlands for every Visitors:
- No Rubbish Bins will be available at Lara. As of 2018 everything you bring in, you have to take out. So we advise that you bring your own little bin and rubbish bags so rubbish can be sealed and taken out when you leave.
- Generators are more than welcome at Lara. We advise that the running of your generators should be at intervals, in day light hours from 8 am – 5 pm ONLY.
Music – No LOUD music after 5 pm.
- — NO POWERED SITES–
- Camp Fires are permitted at Lara, unless there is a local Fire ban, set down by the Local Council. Fire Pits/Drums are located near the Ash Pits, Please return to here & empty ash when finished for others to use. Collect your fire wood on the way in to Lara or utilise the pushed up piles found around the wetlands. Chain saw use between the hours of 8am-5pm only.
Dog Sitting – $5 for half day $10 for full day
Horses – Cattle yards or small paddock available for use if travelling with your horses $10 per day.
Looking forward to you visiting us soon. Big Smiles, Safe Travels.
WE ARE PET FRIENDLY (MUST BE ON LEASH AT ALL TIMES; BINS SUPPLIED FOR DOGGIE DEPOSITS)
WE ARE KID FRIENDLY —- HUGE KIDS PLAYGROUND; KAYAKS/CANOES FOR USE BY ALL.
* PLEASE NOTE: NO EFTPOS FACILITIES – CASH ONLY
39052 Landsborough Highway,